Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is the company that government and industry turn to for innovative technologies and solutions to problems that improve our safety, security, and way of life. Our employees, most of whom have advanced degrees in engineering and the physical sciences, have the expertise to tackle the most challenging technical problems.
We Solve Problems
We are globally recognized for applying technically-excellent, in-depth and diversified research, engineering, and technical support services to provide answers to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences.
ARA approaches every project as an opportunity to go beyond expectations by delivering solutions that accomplish objectives and also lead to new possibilities.
Passion – We’re excited about what we do.
ARA employees are dedicated to their work and enthusiastically address challenges.
Freedom – We value our flexibility and autonomy.
ARA employees embody independence and entrepreneurialism.
Service – We get things done.
ARA employees selflessly go beyond their commitments to serve clients and others.
Growth – We are focused on growing ourselves and ARA.
ARA employees are not satisfied with the status quo and recognize that growth is a necessary, not just desirable, requirement for success.
Mission and Vision
To provide a work environment that challenges and rewards our efforts, provides opportunities for us to grow, and allows us to pursue work we are passionate about.
This is why we were founded.
To solve problems of national importance by providing science and engineering research, technical support services, specialty products, and integrated solutions.
This is what we do for our customers.
To be the company that government and industry turn to for innovative technologies and solutions to critical human problems that will make our world safer, make us more secure, and make a difference in our daily lives.
This is what we aspire to achieve.
Employee ownership empowers all of us to impact our own future and that of ARA. Our autonomous management structure enables an entrepreneurial environment where ARA employees collaborate across business units in close alignment with their individual customers. Our culture encourages career growth and rewards innovation, self-motivation, and technical excellence.
ARA is a ‘bottom up’ organization. Our business units work closely with clients to define current needs and anticipate those for the future. Unlike most companies where key decisions and investment initiatives are driven from the top, our key decisions and investments are DRIVEN by the ARA business units. As a result, our vision for the future remains aligned with those we serve. This is what defines and differentiates ARA.
— Robert Sues, ARA President and CEO
Expanding the Realm of Possibility
Since our founding in 1979, ARA has earned significant recognition in National Security, Transportation, Energy & Environment, and Health & Human Safety. Through our work, ARA has set standards of excellence in service and technology that extend into new territory.
- The synthetic storm simulation methodology pioneered by ARA in the late 1990s continues to provide hurricane catastrophe modeling for the insurance industry today.
- ARA-developed pavement design guides, visualization tools, and software are considered the standard for the pavement industry.
- ARA’s ReadiJet© fuel powered the historic first 100-percent biofuels test flight and is on track to produce biofuel at prices competitive with fossil fuels.
- ARA-developed mobile apps are putting information into the hands of first responders and warfighters to rapidly assess and address incidents. Our software programs are backed by decades of security engineering expertise that allow architects, planners, and security personnel insight to make buildings more secure.
- ARA expertise in cognitive sciences, testing and engineering, and serious game development create interactive training tools for industry and National Security.
We aren’t satisfied to rest on our successes. We continue to explore new areas to make an impact in our world.