Respiratory Protection Research Center of Excellence
ARA’s Respiratory Protection Center of Excellence (RPRCE) has been established over the past decade through performing Research and Development for major government and Industrial customers. ARA has performed respiratory protection research for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), The Department of Defense (DoD). We have vast experience to meet all your respiratory protection research needs.
- TSI8130a – filtration efficiency and pressure testing of respirators and respirator materials
- TSI Porta Count – Quantitative Fit testing for all respiratory protecting products
- Static Advanced Headform – This state of the art headform contains a skin simulant that has been shown to provide the same fit to humans with the same anthropometric dimensions
- Droplet and Aerosol Source Control System – This unique capability combines two headforms with breathing machines that allows us to evaluate technologies for mitigating transmission
- Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) modeling – ARA’s computer infrastructure support complex CFD modeling that we have applied to design and optimization of respirator design
- Human Factors Lab – ARA establishes Intuitional Review Board (IRB) protocols to perform research surrounding comfort, tolerability, and overall wear-ability for respirators. This includes simulated work levels and the ability to quantity key metrics (temperature, humidity, CO2 level, etc) from human subjects
- Human Factor Outreach – ARA has vast experience conducting “voice of the customer” studies to better understand customer views of respiratory products. We have an extensive network of hospitals we work with to conduct interviews and simulated workplace studies.
- Rapid Prototyping – ARA uses multiple techniques for rapid prototyping (3-D printing, soft tooling, etc.) to create prototypes for preliminary evaluations. ARA has used this capability to rapid prototype respirators for humans and canines.
- Disinfection and Sterilization – The RPCE contains custom equipment for disinfection and sterilization requirements allows for rapid and customizable analysis. This includes a washer disinfector and autoclave that allow repeated cycling and complete cycle control.
- Microorganism Detection/Assay – The RRCE contains a full suite of capabilities for detection of microorganisms. This includes enzyme linked assays as well as quantitative PCR. We currently are set up to detect the SARS_COV-02 virus (COVID-19).
- Aerosols/Droplets – The RPCE is equipped with an aerodynamic particle sizer (APS) that can detect particles ranging from 0.5 – 20 um. We also possess a Malvern Spraytec that measures liquid droplets through laser diffraction.
- Bioaerosols – the RPCE contains multiple custom bioaerosol chambers that were designed to meet specific customer needs. We have vast experience aerosolizing multiple BSL-I and BSL-II microorganisms in custom chambers.
- Microbiology – The RPCE contains a full service BSL-II microbiology laboratory that provides the capability to work with any virus, bacteria, spore, phage, cell line etc that is classified as a BSL-I or BSL-II agent
- Analytical Chemistry – Fully equipped with standard laboratory and chemical handling equipment, as well as advanced analytical instrumentation such as ion chromatographs, gas chromatography–mass spectrometer, Raman and UV-Vis-NIR spectrophotometers, and high-pressure liquid chromatographs.
- Elastomeric Respirator Patent