SonoWeb: Particle and Aerosol Concentrator/Sampler
An abundance of effective technologies exist for the point detection of biological aerosols, but their effectiveness is only as good as the front-end aerosol sampling method. Traditional inertial aerosol concentrators are currently used to sample the and concentrate aerosols to increase the sensitivity of point detectors. But, inertial concentrators require power-hungry blower fans, they tend to clog, and they are only effective on larger particles (e.g., 2 micron and larger)
ARA’s SonoWeb technology uses ultrasonic forces to concentrate particles. The SonoWeb is low power (0.5 – 5 watts) and efficiently concentrates submicron particles in the key threat size range of 0.3 to 5 microns. The SonoWeb can be electronically adjusted for variable concentration, can be operated over a wide range of air flow rates, and requires a fraction of the power consumed by existing inertial aerosol concentrators.
The SonoWeb acoustic concentrator can improve the performance and efficiency of detectors such as:
- TACBIO II (fluorescent and elastic backscatter)
- Joint Biological Tactical Detection System (JBTDS)
- DHS Low-cost Biological Agent Detection System (LBADS)
- Environmental particle samplers (PM2.5) like integrating nephelometers
- Raman-based spectroscopy systems
- Cleanroom dust monitoring systems
- Other future systems used for military and civilian chemical and biological defense
The SonoWeb technology allows for high sensitivity detection of aerosol threats.
ARA’s bioaerosol and microbiology research is providing game changing solutions for government and industry. more
ARA has been designing and utilizing our own custom instrumentation since our founding over two decades ago. In that time, we’ve also build and... more